Spring

Tuesday 16 February 2010

I cracked it...

So it's 'Pancake Tuesday' here in Ireland. I'm not sure if it's a thing in the states or not- we didn't do it when I was young. It's basically where you use up everything in your cupboard in preparation for lent... back in the day that was flour, sugar, eggs, milk and butter (your basic pancake recipe) . Anyway, I've never quite managed to make exceptional pancakes.. you know lovely and fluffy..mine always wind up heavy and flat. Well, I cracked it... I separated the egg, beat the whites and folded it into the batter (I also used self-raising flour instead of plain.. and a bit of cream for good measure). Well not to toot my own horn, but they were freakin' amazing! So light and fluffy... just gorgeous.

Thought I'd share...

1 1/4 cups self raising flour
1/4 cup caster sugar
1tsp baking soda
1tsp baking powder
1/2tsp salt

8 ozs milk
2 ozs whipping cream
2 ozs melted butter
1tsp vanilla extract
1 egg yolk

1 egg white (whisked by hand for 2 minutes)

Sift the dry ingredients together.
Mix the liquid ingredients together (except for the egg white).
Stir liquids into dry until just mixed (don't over mix or it will stretch the gluten in the flour and make the batter heavy).
Fold in egg whites.

Spoon onto hot non-stick pan and enjoy!!

Should yield around 8 medium pancakes

1 comment:

Heather-Anne said...

Happy Lenten! I always find buttermilk to be a bit key, but I love a pancake...so I am gonna give these a whirl since buttermilk isn't always handy.