Spring

Monday 24 September 2007

30 weeks… the countdown begins

Passed the 30 week mark on Friday and this last trimester has brought a whole host of new and fun things. I have developed the most evil heartburn/indigestion. It is relentless and wakes me up at night. I’m trying to cut out spicy foods (although I love them) and acidic fruits- oranges are my favourite at the minute. I carry around gaviscon (heartburn tablets) with me at all times. My feet are still swollen and I’ve signed up for reflexology classes at our hospital- hope they ring soon. I have heard that they can really alleviate the aches and pains if used consistently. My back is killing me- lower back especially. I am finding it difficult to get comfortable sitting, standing, sleeping. My bras are going to have to go- the underwire is digging into me like mad and baby seems to have discovered my ribs. Boy, this kid is a kicker. I seriously thought s/he was having a fit the other day when I received consistent punches/kicks to my left side for at least 1 minute straight. This baby is beating me up! My appetite has not subsided. I think I’m carrying pretty low, so the baby mustn’t be up against my stomach just yet.

We had our 30 week appointment/scan on Wednesday. The scan wasn’t terribly clear because baby has gotten so big. Seriously big. I was 29 weeks and 5 days at the scan and this baby weighs nearly 2 kilograms (1.85kg=4.07lbs). We are over the 90th centile for weight. See the chart I have reproduced below showing Baby Reynolds bigger than the average ‘big baby’. Oh joy.

They say the baby usually gains ½ lb a week, so if I go the full 40 weeks the baby should be around 9lbs. But the way this kid is growing, I could have a 11 pounder (I have just crossed my legs at the thought). I had blood tests done to check everything is okay. The doctor was really pleased with my growth and how everything was looking with baby. She said I shouldn’t really be worried about the weight because Ollie and I are so tall, so we’ll most likely have a longer baby which could account for the high weight. She didn’t change my due date, but said the growth indicates the baby is ahead of schedule and estimating the due date is just that- an estimation. I’m still hopeful that I will go a couple of weeks early- I hear your sniggers!

I have another picture of belly to post. Will do tomorrow as I don’t have my camera in work with me.

No comments: