Spring

Friday 31 August 2007

22 weeks, 6 days

I started my pregnancy yoga class. It’s great. Totally packed…. I didn’t realise there were so many of us preggos! I’m going with a friend from work who’s 5 weeks behind me. I also saw a friend, Deborah, at the class. But it didn’t really matter if you knew anyone or not- you got to know the people beside you very well. It was fun and very entertaining. We started off by doing some relaxation (totally need this) and then went into some movements. I’ve taken yoga on and off since I was in grade school (first time I went was with my Aunt- I think I was around 9 or 10). And I’ve always gone back to it. I’m blessed with great flexibility, so I enjoy the stretching and contortion. It’s not very advanced when you are pregnant- no mystic dancer for me! She also puts in little exercises and movements for common complaints- we all list any issues we are having at the beginning of class and she incorporates that into the class. I’ve been suffering a bit from swelling of my legs and ankles. Seems that my flight back home and the hot, humid weather was the catalyst and I’ve never recovered! So, apparently celery and pineapple juice help get rid of the problem.

It’s actually quite physical! My legs were quite sore from squatting down with my partner for the night, Diane (I think, this pregnesia is wiping out my memory). Over the next 6 weeks, I’ll learn techniques for relaxation, labour and after. I might then book another 6 week course bringing me close up to my due date.

Scanning the room, I was checking out the size of people’s bumps who were around the same week as me… I’m definitely hiding it well. There were some big bumps in there- mine the smallest and by far from what I could see.

Oh, I had on a pair of loose sweatpants and my ‘Rage against the machine’ t-shirt. I think I’ll try for a more maternal t-shirt next time!

No comments: